Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sneak peek...

I know I've been gone forever, but I have been working diligently on plenty of projects... they are just big ones that take more time than anything I've done before. One of those projects was refinishing a dresser for Bug. I've been holding onto this dresser for about 9 months, because I got it for free, but it needed a lot of work. 4 of the 6 drawers were broken and in shambles and I didn't have the tools to fix them... step in my AWESOME dad who built me new drawers while we were in phx, so now it has just been painting. As the title says, this is a sneak peek, so don't think you are seeing the dresser today (I'm mean, huh?) But I did come up with a cute way to show Bug where his clothes go... for that magical day when I teach him how to put away his own clothes.




I know, I'm dreaming.


Here is what I did:
(and yes, you are seeing a bit of the dresser too, but it has changed a little from the pic, no strings!)




Anyways, it requires the following:


Muslin


Freezer paper


Exacto knife


Fabric paint


Paint brushes


Iron




Now I'm not going to write a whole post on freezer paper stenciling, I'm going to let one of my favorite bloggers do that because she does it so well. So, hope on over to MADE and read her great post on freezer paper stenciling, it is super cool ;).




I thought of this project because I wanted Bug to KNOW where his clothes go so that I know where to find them. I also didn't want the excuse, "but I don't know where they go!"




First I cut the muslin to fit the drawers, it makes a great cheap drawer liner on its own.


Next I used a bunch of free clipart to make my images, I printed them out and traced them onto the freezer paper. I used my exacto knife and cute them out and then used the MADE tutorial to do the freezer paper stenciling.
I hope this makes putting away clothes easy and fun for Bug. Goodness, now daddy will know where to find things when mommy is out with the girls :D!
Have a great day everyone!
featured button

2 comments:

Chris said...

What a cute idea! I found you through Catch a Glimpse Thursday. Have a great day!

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

How cute! What a fabulous idea to help little kids stay organized! Thanks for linking up!