Sunday, May 8, 2011
Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Monday, March 28, 2011
I was directed to a great idea for gardening in a confined space today. Pallet gardens! more specifically, I plan on turning a pallet into an herb garden. Here is the link if you are interested in the "how to". I think it is great for appartment dwellers, or people like me that just dont have the backyard space for a "serious" garden.
I'm looking forward to showing you how well my little container garden is doing, the squash sprouts broke through today and I can just see a couple of carrot sprouts. It isn't much, but it is a start and covers the family favorites for veggies. Still waiting on the bell pepers and the pumpkins. Pictures will be posted soon!
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
This is my attempt at container gardens... right now we are in the "greenhouse" phase... I tend to over water seeds, and I've found I'm less likely to do that if I have a greenhouse system going on.
So here is what I have done:
2 big plastic tubs,
several bags of potting soil, garden soil and manure fertilizer mixed well together with peat moss,
seeds, plastic sheeting, string, PVC pipe, and a cup of water.
I've filled the tubs with the soil mixture, planted the seeds as directed (we have carrots, zucchini, yellow squash in one, and in the other a pumpkin grouping in the center ). Then I took a cup of water and placed it in a corner without seeds and a PVC pipe placed almost center (depending on the placement of plants) and covered it with plastic sheeting. The sheeting was tied down with a string under the lip of the tub. I plan on checking the water levels daily so that I don't bake the plants or over water them.
When it looks like I have a lot of good plants, I'll transfer some to other tubs, but right now I'm just hoping that things will grow and that this wont all be for naught. Each of the squash plants will have thier own 18 gallon tub. When we are out of the greenhouse part I will drill a few small holes in the base edge of the tubs for water drainage.
I do need to paint the tubs white so that they don't get too hot and hurt the roots, but that needs to wait until I can get to the hardware store and pick up plastic compatible spray paint
Let me know what you think! I'm still learning about the gardening thing, so hopefully all my research was right and this works out! :)
Friday, March 18, 2011
So, I love dark jeans, especially on my little boys, but I've found that after several washes they fade... a lot. It drives me crazy. Well, I've wondered for a while if I could dye them dark again, or if that would ruin them. I finally broke down and tried it on the only pair of jeans Bug has... and it turned out great! They look almost new again! I still need to find that perfect shade of dark denim dye, but for now the Rit Dye in navy is doing the trick.
So if you'd like me to show you how I did it, let me know... it is super simple, but I know I was scared going in blind. :)
Have a good one!!!
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
1/2 yard of light green cotton fabric
1/2 yard light brown cotton fabric
1/4 yard of cotton fabric in the following colors: grey, blue, dark green, dark brown
(small amounts of red and orange too >1/4 yard)
~3 yards of Ultra heat and bond
2/3 yard of a 50 inch wide fabric - I chose canvas for durability
Puffy paint in all the above colors + white
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
(sorry for the bad photo, there isn't much light in this part of the house)
I also build the same type of shelf for Bug's room. Now he can get to all of his books and pick out what he wants read befor bed.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Thursday, February 3, 2011
They took less than a half yard to make both ties (with the same print) Although you still need to buy the half yard because of how you cut the fabric.
The bow ties were the easiest, though I did substitute velco for the bow tie hardware she mentioned, I figured if my almost 1 year old wanted it off, I didn't want him to hurt himself when he tried to ditch them.
I hope you guys find the tutorials helpful!
Monday, January 31, 2011
Friday, January 28, 2011
Ah, finally done... all of the decorative trim was painted by hand in a black gloss and the dresser got 5 coats of glossy Navy paint. I'm still searching for those perfect handles, but someday I will find them.
(Bug couldn't wait to get his toys back "where they belong" even though mommy was still taking pictures.)
If you'd like to see more about the transformation, check out the 2 posts before this one :)